Recipes Made Easy!
Jollof sauce – Jollof rice
Getting straight down to business…the next few posts are recipes that you can try with the sauces you can buy on this site.
Of course you can use these sauces whichever way you choose. This is just a guide for those not entirely sure.
Here is a simple dish which will also work for those who do not eat meat.
1 Jar of Jollof sauce
About 300ml veg stock (or chicken/beef stock – homemade preferably)
Carrots and green beans (optional)
1-2 tbsp butter
2 ripe plantains
* Measure 400g rice, wash and add to a saucepan
* Add jollof sauce and mix
* Fill half of empty jar with stock and add to rice (you need enough stock to just cover the rice). Stir and add some seasoning. The rice will soak it all up so be generous if you want flavours to come through!
* Cover saucepan and bring to boil then reduce the heat and cook for 20-25 minutes.
* Check after 15 mins and stir rice until the rice is evenly coated, add more water as necessary. At this point you can add the vegetables and some butter and cook until they are soft.
* Once cooked serve with plantain
To make this a non-vegetarian dish use homemade chicken/beef stock and serve with grilled fish, beef, chicken etc
* Cut ½ inch slices of the plantain and deep fry until golden brown