Recipes Made Easy!
Jollof sauce – Jollof rice
Jollof sauce is one of our very popular sauces, it was created of course to make jollof rice quick and easy to make.
No more cooking the sauce for a while before adding your rice and no blender to clean afterwards! Perfect!
Jollof rice is a popular West African one pot tomato rice dish similar to paella or the Spanish red rice. The rice takes on a characteristic orange to red colour from the tomatoes and all kinds of seasonings are used to flavour it. Jollof rice is also great with any barbecued meat and fish dishes wih a salad.
The Pepper and Stew jollof sauce can be used to make all types of jollof rice, the Nigerian version, the Ghananian and even thieb from Senegal.
Here is a quick jollof recipe you can try.
- 1 Jar of Jollof sauce
- 400g rice (any type will do)
- About 300ml veg stock (or chicken/beef stock – homemade preferably)
- Salt and Pepper
- Stock cube (we used the ones that melt Kallo cubes for example)
- Carrots and green beans (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 ripe plantains
- 3 tbsps Vegetable oil
- Measure 400g rice, wash and set aside.
- Fry the onion in the vegetable oil till soft, add the stock cube and fry till its dissolved.
- Now add the whole jar of jollof sauce, the rice, enough stock to cover the rice and stir.
- Cover and bring to the boil then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 – 25 minutes depending on the type of rice.
- Half way through, stir the rice with a fork until evenly coated, add more stock if necessary.
- Fry the vegetables in butter if using until just cooked and season then add to the rice a few minutes before its cooked and mix through.
- Serve with grilled meat or fish and/or fried plantain.
*To make this a non-vegetarian dish use homemade chicken/beef stock and serve with grilled fish, beef, chicken etc
* Cut ½ inch slices of the plantain and deep fry until golden brow